Wednesday, September 12, 2018

Medieval Mayhem: An Old-School D&D Project

In my most recent blog entry I talked about the original 1974 version of Dungeons & Dragons that started it all and why I love it so much. So I might as well share some ideas I have for a project that is directly related to Original Dungeons & Dragons.

The project is an experiment that I call "Medieval Mayhem" and it is somewhat inspired by the rise of YouTube videos detailing people's RPG campaigns, the most prolific being Critical Role.

Medieval Mayhem is an idea that takes inspiration from previous ideas I have had for RPG fan fiction stories. However, it is somewhat different from other attempts I have made.

It is essentially a story presented as an actual campaign journal for OD&D, complete with character sheets, recorded dice rolls, and everything else that entails. It is not a heavily pre-scripted narrative and it is largely run in an open-ended and improvisational way, much like the old D&D campaigns of yore way back in the 1970's and early 1980's.

However, Medieval Mayhem also serves another purpose as well. The "in-game" events of Medieval Mayhem also serve as information for a custom OD&D setting that I am working on and will develop within the context of this project, before refining into a "proper" campaign setting compatible with the mechanics of Original Dungeons & Dragons.

Medieval Mayhem will be using only the Three Little Brown Booklets from the OD&D box set.

I may possibly incorporate the materials from Chainmail and the four OD&D supplements as well, although I am not sure. If I do incorporate Supplements I-IV, it would be in an incremental fashion.

Expect more material for the project known as Medieval Mayhem very soon.

1 comment: